Saturday, January 31, 2009

Working the land

We have all been hard at work in our back yard these past few weekends, tyring to make good use of our 70 degree winter weather. In fact, it's 10:44 p.m. and Nate is still out there shovelling away! We have mixed greens and romaine in the raised bed in the side of the house. We planted 2 peach trees, 1 nectarine tree, 1 sour cherry (my fav.) 2 blueberry bushes, two grape vines, 97 raspberry bush starts and a bed of red and yellow onions and garlic. We made a very large raised planter today for all our veggies this summer which included unloading a truck bed full of organic compost, which Andrew refers to as stinky worm pooh ;) (That's my boy!) We have an apple tree back there that we need to plant and had 2 lemon trees and 1 mature orange tree already (those oranges are good!). I guess we are going for it! It should be a lot of fun- this is something we have always talked about doing. The kids already are planning to sell raspberries out front this summer to make some money. (They even mentioned starting mission funds! ;)
I really enjoy working out there- I find myself thinking about all sorts of things. So much so that when my family starts talking to me, I am not even aware of it!
More plans for the back yard include finishing the 1/2 pipe, getting an above the ground pool with adjoining deck to jump off of, a large patio for entertaining, and a tree house in the huge oak tree. Add in the trampoline and we will have quite the party yard! I love owning our own house!

3 comments:

Andrew and Marie Harris said...

Wow, I wish we had the climate to plant all of those fruit trees. You need to post pictures when you guys are all done. We miss you! Love, Marie

Kathleen said...

so fun. Working in the yard is so rewarding...your kids will love the harvest. We just planted 3 fruit trees in our new backyard...we're so excited! Ya, and I want to see pics too, sounds like you have a huge backyard!

Darla said...

Heather! I just found your blog on Ivy's! How exciting that you own a home. I can't BELIEVE all that you're doing in your backyard. That's great! I can't wait..
Pics, Please!!